Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Keywords: How to Find Them

Keyword Research

One of the most troublesome parts of getting backlinks by creating content is deciding which keywords to use. I use Google's get keyword ideas tool in the adwords section of their site to make a list of keywords. First I type in the keyword I think best fits my subject. Then I have Google show me related ones. To choose the best ones I look at how much traffic each word receives. If it gets more than one hundred hits a month than take that word and Google search it with "quotation" marks around it. If the word has less then 10,000 results I put those off to the side to for later. To check for competition I Google search each word without the quotes and check the page rank of each of the top ten sites. I do this by using this Fire Fox add on for page rank. Or this SEO extension for Google Chrome. Pick out 10 to 20 of these words and make a list.

Long-tail Keywords

Use the same techniques as above but look for keywords of 4 or more words. These are easier to rank in as there isn't as much competition. This keyword idea tool will help find long-tail keywords. They can get you more targeted visitors. Customers that have already done their research are more likely to use a long-tail keyword while searching. When they're just doing research they'll type in a generic 2 or 3 word search.

Check this site out to get your website some serious link juice. It will automatically submit your links to dofollow sites. It uses content that you create to post to blogs and make articles. It has gotten me loads of traffic and increased my search engine rank for several of my sites.

0 comments: